Employment of Foreign Workers
If you’re an employer looking for hire a employee from a foreign country you will need to complete a list of tasks before you will be eligible to employ them.
For employers, to start you will need to:
- Complete a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) if it is required for your industry
- A LMIA is a document that officially determines if Canada has a shortage of Canadian workers for that specific job.
- If you do the LMIA and have positive results than you will be able to go forward with hiring a foreign worker.
- Employment Social Development Canada (ESDC) will then determine if you will be able to employ a foreign employee.
- The exception to the LMIA would be for special work permits and may include; Live-in Caregiver, Business People and Agricultural Workers.
- You will not be able to apply for permanent residence through a work permit. If you’re trying to become a permanent resident, see if you’re a qualified skilled worker.
Our Experienced Calgary Immigration Lawyers and Consultants Can Help
If you’re seeking help with employment of a foreign worker, we would love to help. Please contact our immigration team by calling (403) 476-2011, email us at [email protected] or click here to book a consultation.